05 May 8 Ways to become the MacGyver of Anti-Stress
We are ALL busy people. And in the land of instant communication of cell phones, and texting, our stress levels have seemed to increase over the last decade.
Keys To Stress Less
Here are some simple tweaks to keep your calm during the influx of demands.
1. Check your breath. Are you breathing? Draw in a few (Do NOT count them–I know you type A’s are going to rush through those 3 breaths) The most important thing is not how many, quality air & oxidation is key. Exhale 2 or 3 times longer than inhale–that’s the relaxation phase of respiration.
2. Check your posture! The slightest little head forward position can decrease your air flow and cause tension in the neck & shoulders. When your muscle get tense, your brain gets the message of stress, trouble, fight or flight state. NOT what we want.
3. Both feet on the ground. Ground yourself. Feel yourself planted on the Earth.
4. Clear your Mind. Dismiss all frantic thoughts, all negative thoughts. Re focus on solutions and your knowing that you always ‘get it done’.
5. Breathe again, draw in long deep breath & exhale slowly.
6. Hydrate. Get those 6-8 glasses of quality filtered water every day. It really does make a difference. When your body tissue are nourished & hydrated, they perform as they are supposed to!
7. Get exercise, cardio. When your body is used to exercise, if or when you need to jump up into action, it does not perceive it as an emergency, and does not trigger the fight or flight communication to the brain & autonomic nervous system. No stress. Just another active day:)
8. Meditate. Similar premise to #7, above. When you have a regular mediation practice, whether it is 5 minutes a day, or 40 minutes a day, you get the body into the habit of staying in the relaxed, parasympathetic state (Opposite of fight or flight). If you can go for higher frequency & shorter duration–even better. So maybe break that 40 minutes a day, into 3, 4 or 6 sessions.
We’re all about getting stress out of our clients’ lives.
Best of Health to You!
Susan L. Chasse, B.A., LMP
Text for Your Relaxation slot: 206-383-6977
30, 60 or 90 Minutes of Complete Parasympathetic 😉